"Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you....For I am the Lord, your God...." Isaiah 43:1-3

Tuesday 25 August 2009

"shower"

do you know which "luxury" I missed in africa?
SHOWER - all we had was bucket of cold water (of course that I could heat up a kettle or two to make the water a litle bit warmer but those of you who know me for a while already know that I' m too lazy to do that, so I "showered" in cold water all the time. can you imagine how excited I was when I came home and I was about to take my first hot shower in 6 weeks? - yes HOT - I didn't care that it was summer, I didn't care that people were sweating all around me becase it even thought it as night, the temperature was still overwhelming. I just wanted my hot shower. And then after 6 weeks of cold buckets all I could manage was mild (almost cold) shower and still I felt as if I was washing with boiling water - even now, after almost 3 weeks of my "luxurious" normal life I can't have hot shower because it would hurt...I just got use to cold water and all what I care about right now is that the water is running and I can take cold shower every night - maybe I'll be back to normal around Christmas and I'll get my hot shower after my first snowboarding trip - or maybe not - I might shower with cold water for the rest of my life - who knows?
BTW mom thought it was fnny that after my first shower all bathtub was filled with red african dust, well, what can I say? - i was just one of the souvenirs I brought home from Kenya - people should learn to appreciate small things.

3 comments:

Kathy Cassel said...

Life always seem so weird after coming home from another country. Each time I come back from Haiti I feel like I"m in some weird star trek time loop!

Rachel said...

that is so cool that u all went to another country. from Rachel.

Jarka said...

hey! thanks for commening :)
I really appreciate every little comment :)
Kathy that´s exactly how it was - I felt like I´ve traveled in a time machine ( and it was only an ordinary plane)...and still, I think that sometimes I liked it more in africa then here at home...life was so much much more peaceful and also simplier sometimes - and nature was all around...I really miss that connection with nature here, back home in "civilised world" - going to bed with dirty feet covered with red dust and being woken up by a bird knocking on the window ( we were so fortunate that we had a window)...oh I miss the nature...
:) - can´t wait to go back - I´ll just have to work this summer and maybe in 2 years I could be back in central Kenya, who knows...

Rachel, you´re right, it was so cool do go there and it changed me so much - I´ve learned to appreciate little things (like food in the fridge, fridge itself, drinking water...) it´s all so normal for us that we don´t even think about it - and still, I felt so happy in africa - without all those things...it´s hard to explain :D